Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Coffee Table Makeover


We got a set of awesome Urban Barn couches on Craigslist, and they threw in a free coffee table! I wasn't a fan of the colour (see below) and it didn't really suit our living room, but we needed a coffee table. I knew I had seen a few pins on painting laminate furniture (thank you Pinterest!) so I went to work.
I used 2 coats of primer (Zinsser cover stain is great. Use an OIL-BASED Primer to stick to the laminate!), 2 coats of paint (A mix of 2 different ivory paints I had bits left of), and 3 coats of matte varnish after painting and Mod Podging the wrapping paper. I got the wrapping paper at Hallmark, and 1 roll (22 1/2 sq. ft) fit the space I needed to cover perfectly. I applied everything using foam brushes. I love foam brushes!

The supplies!
The starting point. Nothing wrong with it, just not the colour for us!

After 2 coats of primer, and 1 coat of paint. 

Mod-podging the wrapping paper. (1 roll of paper fit perfectly.)


Trying it out in the living room.

In front of our new couch!

Working with a whole roll of wrapping paper is tricky! It kept unrolling and re-rolling, and folding awkwardly. Anyway, there are more bubbles than I would like, but I'm happy with the finished product. If I did this again, I might measure and cut the pieces for each side instead of trying to do it in one go.
Yay, we have a coffee table! (Well, it's officially a new road for Sawyer's "vroom-vrooms", but I'd like to think us grown-ups can enjoy it too.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! thought I'd follow you back! you are absolutely so crafty! I love what you did with the table!

    xox

    Juliette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Juliette, you're so sweet! Love your blog btw, I'm now a compulsive reader (and I've got my fingers crossed for that giveaway! haha).

    ReplyDelete



blogger template by lovebird